Location..

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Oct 12 20:15:04 PDT 2005

> Locations....
>
> Hold meetings in Cupertino, and the two guys in Burlingame will claim
> you'd do better to move north.  Hold them in Redwood City, and the two
> participants from Morgan Hill will advise going south.  One way to
> find
> out is move and see what happens -- but then you should wait a few
> months:  Some former regulars will cease attending, but you'll also
> slowly pick up people for whom the new location is better.  (Any move
> introduces "friction" over the shart term:  All else being equal, keep
> changes of venue/time to a minimum.)
>
> In short, it's a muddle, and ultimately has to come down to someone's
> judgement about which area to serve and what evening or afternoon to
> stake out.  In an ideal world, you _would_ be able to survey who our
> intended constituency are and where they live & work, then pick spots
> and regular times that work for them, but I'm not able to envision
> offhand any real-world heuristic that approximates that very well.
> (If someone else can think of one, though, good!)

A middle ground needs to be found in terms of location.  By being
hosted in
Cupertino, BayLisa is excluding quite a bit of people. The bay area
is the
worst place to drive in. At least in San Francisco we have semi-decent
public transportation.. What are the options for Cupertino again,
besides
asking Steve Jobs for us to catch a ride the next time one of his press
conferences coincide with a BayLisa meeting? Honestly, to get to BayLisa
is 2.25 hours of driving.  I'm sure it's nice and easy for those who
live
in sunnyvale, so perhaps it should be SunnyvaleLisa instead?