waterlogged hard drive recovery

Jeff Woolsey woolsey at jlw.com
Sat Nov 19 10:11:32 PST 2005

> My girlfriend spilled a glass of chocolate milk once

And I spilled moo juice on a powered firewire NTSC tuner, which
kept working ok for a while but wouldn't turn back on later.  The
milk dripped through the vent holes and onto the circuit board.  I
had let it sit overnight and then opened it up (they hide the screws
pretty well) and managed to clean the crud out with a pin, water,
alcohol, a loupe, and some tissues.  It needed meticulous attention
to get everything out from between all those tiny pins.  The operation
was a success, and the patient didn't die!

Not something I want to do everyday (unless the price is right).

Jeff Woolsey {woolsey,jlw}@{jlw,jxh}.com,first.last at gmail.com
"And Leon's getting laaaarrger!"  -Johnny
"I didn't get a 'Harrumph!' out of _that_ guy." -Gov Le Petomaine
"A toy robot!!!!" -unlucky Japanese scientist
"Delete! Delete! OK!" -Dr. Bronner on disk space management