Missing glue for a nameserver

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 18 14:45:04 PST 2005

I wrote:

> Using OpenSRS's management CGI, I added an additional (fifth) nameserver,
> David Wolfskill's "ns.catwhisker.org".  (Thank you, David.)  It got
> saved into the authoritative list, but _without any IP_.

OK, I think I've figured this out, for myself.  ns.catwhisker.org is
"out of bailiwick" (outside the limits of authority) for the .com/.org
GLTD servers.  Therefore, any glue "A" record that hypothetically
_could_ be created in the *.gltd-servers.net records would be improper,
and the data _should_ be ignored by any cache that happened to receive
it.

So, in this particular case, having no glue record in my parent zone
is The Right Thing.