Missing glue for a nameserver

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 18 13:23:31 PST 2005

Attention, DNS weenies:  I have an interesting anomaly concerning
"linuxmafia.com".

Using OpenSRS's management CGI, I added an additional (fifth) nameserver,
David Wolfskill's "ns.catwhisker.org".  (Thank you, David.)  It got
saved into the authoritative list, but _without any IP_.  So, the
revised nameserver roster is:

ns.catwhisker.org
ns1.linuxmafia.com 198.144.195.186
ns.primate.net     198.144.194.12
ns.on.primate.net  207.44.185.143
ns1.thecoop.net    216.218.255.165

The only pragmatic effect, since David's server isn't in-domain for me,
is a tiny performance loss (extra lookup when loading the cache), but
I'm wondering why, and if it's fixable.

Cross-checking at
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=catwhisker.org shows
that it _is_ possible to have glue records for that nameserver.

I _think_ I see what's going on:  It's the only .org in my list, and
thus not handled by the *.gtld-servers.net servers that handle
linuxmafia.com's parent zone.  (Those handle .com/.net.)

Is the only fix for me to stick to .com/.net nameservers for my ".com"
domains, or is there some way to cluebat the .com TLD's config?