Reliable terminal emulation in the modern age?

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Tue Nov 1 20:48:45 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:27:58PM -0800, Michael T.Halligan wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a working, usable terminal emulator? I'm
> simply attempting to do some remote serial console work on a couple
> of servers, specifically in the BIOS. I'm finding this to be an
> almost impossible, and certainly unenjoyable experience. My main
> platform
> is OS X, on which I've tried both Terminal.app and iTerm, to no
> avail. Not to be outdone, I've found putty on windows, and X windows
> on Linux
> to be equally broken.  Does anybody have an idea on a reliable
> terminal emulator for any of these three platforms, that just works,
> without hours
> and hours of fiddling? Free, commercial, if it works, I'm happy.
>

> Michael T. Halligan

I am very happy with SecureCRT, both for vt100 and xterm emulation. Also
like it for serial console. $99 initial purchase, I upgraded since then twice,
one of the best purchases I made in regards to software throughout the year.

--
Regards, Ulf.