Suggestions for colocation needed

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon May 23 15:52:19 PDT 2005

JMA wired is a joke. They're nice guys, but come on. Have you been in
their datacenter? I ran the infrastructure
for a small company that had about 1 racks worth of gear for 2 years in
there. One night, at about 2am, I was
out drinking with the customer's CTO, and we get a call that everything
was down. We made our way over to
JMA to find out that they had ripped out all of the wiring in the
datacenter, without telling customers, and everything..
I mean EVERYTHING was down for 6 hours.

If you want a REAL colocation provider, go to the opposite side of that
block, and look at 365 Main.

365 is a great datacenter. Above.net's flagship $130M datacenter, that
the building owner bought for a song ($2M) in
the bankruptcy sale. I run about 8 racks worth of gear for various
customers (including my own consulting company)
there, and it's the only place besides equinix in the bay area that
deserves my business.

Call them up, and ask for Kevin Shanahan (tell him I sent you!)

Their facilities are awesome, plus they have about 20 bandwidth
providers in there now.

The only problems I've had with 365 was that they had a power failure,
due to a faulty relay shutoff valve in the
cooling system.  I've never had an ISP be as professional as they were.
Within 10 minutes of the outage they had
called us, told us what the situation was. By the time we got down there
they were letting people into the building,
 and helped us do a controlled power-up. The shutoff valve has since
been taken out of their infrastructure.

Since the dot-com bust there have been a lot of half-assed mom&pop colo
providers jumping up, sniping on the
dirt-cheap facilities, but you get what you pay for.

--
BitPusher, LLC