A Question About Apple Employee Discounts

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Thu May 12 07:07:25 PDT 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, John Brunn wrote:
> given year, I could use it.  I'm pretty sure that it is the same deal (I get
> to buy it in my name, no issues with apple), but i can't verify.

As long as you have the receipt, the warranty transfers to whomever
has possession of the computer.  The very computer I am typing this on
was purchased through the employee discount.  It's no different than
J. Q. Public popping down to the Apple store, buying an iPod and
giving it to their cousin for Christmas or whatever.  So the recipient
of a employee discounted computer has the receipt, they fill out the
warranty registration, done.  No funny business at all.

> On a side note.. I do know that gap employees get a 10% discount at
> the apple store in SF (its possible that only SF employees get this,
> but my wife gets it)..

There is a discount for all students, all current educators (teachers,
administrators), all members of Apple User Groups, as well as all
federal employees and contractors.  If you write software, and can
afford the $500 for "full blown" ADC member- ship, you'll get a couple
of good hardware discounts per year.  (If you are going for a high end
machine with all the peripherals, it's worth the $500.)  Dunno if
state employees get discounts.  Many corporations have discounts as
well--check with your HR folks.

In all of the above cases, except ADC and possibly some corporate
discounts, it's 10%.

As an aside, I believe all UG's have to go through the UG Apple store
to exercise their discount.  I recommend A32 for the Bay Area--though
it's really a "virtual group more than anything these days--online
only, AFAIK.  I'm not sure the other Apple UG that was in the South
Bay is even still around --they were having some issues after a
re-org.  There is also a strong one up in Marin County.

http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

Regards--
=Nadine=

--who is very happy for the resurgence of Macs