A Question About Apple Employee Discounts

Jim Dennis jimd at starshine.org
Sun May 8 13:56:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 09:15:21AM -0700, John Clear wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:29:08PM -0700, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
>> How big of a deal is it to ask an acquaintance to use their Apple Employee
>> Discount for your purchase of a computer? Is it a case of "you're mortally
>> insulting them unless you've known them for 20 years and was the godfather
>> of their child," or more of a "well, as long as they don't respond 'roy
>> who?' it's OK"?

> This is one of those 'it depends' type things.  How well do you
> know the person?  How many purchases can they make per year?  How
> many purchases do they have left over at the end of the year?

 My gut response is thus:  If you have to ask us (at BayLISA) rather
 than broaching the topic with your aquaintance ... then you're
 probably not close enough.

 Just how you ask someone is a matter of consideration; particularly
 of being considerate of their values and feelings in the matter.

 Generally if I'm asking for a favor, from anyone, I take some
 effort to make it clear that it is a favor and that they shouldn't
 feel any qualms about turning me down.

 I don't actually know the official Apple policy; it could range from
 "this is a firing offense" to "friends and family? whatever!"  You
 might start by inquiring about that.  (In the process you'll learn
 how big a favor *they* would consider it).

--
Jim Dennis