network thruput

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Jun 1 22:55:24 PDT 2005

Rich,

One good way is to look on CDW. When I'm doing a rough estimate on a
proposal's bill of sales, I'll
go there and see what prices look like. You'd be surprised what CDW
actually gives prices for. A lot
of enterprise geear is usually unpriceable without picking up the phone,
or at least sending off an e-mail.

Just like all first prices, the prices on cdw's websites are not the
prices you should be paying, if you talk
to a sales agent, you'll get better pricing. They're usually able to
drop 10-20%.. More on cisco gear
which I don't think they're allowed to advertise their real prices.

VARS can be your best friend in this situation. I really like doing
business with FusionStorm
(formerly Cat Technologies). I've been buying them for years now, and
they've always treated
me well. If I want to compare 3 or 4 products I'll usually send my
salesman an e-mail, and get
a quote the next day comparing the different options.

Over the past year, I've actually found one thing that I like Dell for.
They do an OK job of supporting
their re-branded ADIC tape libraries. Their prices are phenomenal. I
think I paid $13k to buy a
dual-drive, 24 slot, lto2 tape unit.  Dell's storage support, for tape
units, is actually pretty good (I refuse
to comment on the rest of their support though.. Life is too short).
Their unit doesn't yet support the
300gb sdlt tapes but I'm hoping it will soon, since I need to buy one of
these units for a managed contract
my company is working on.

All in all, CDW is a great place to start. You will find some things
that prices don't appear for, but they're
really good about getting back to you, without too much fuss, that day
with pricing.

Michael

--
BitPusher, LLC