NAS or SAN?

Tue Jan 18 22:43:22 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:

> <quote who="Alvin Oga">
> > "ok" for the budget contraint that wants to build 50TB of storage :-)
>
> On the "SAN on a budget" note...
>
> This looks interesting, http://www.coraid.com/.
> ~$2500 gets you a 3U 10 blade shelf, you just supply any ATA
> (not SATA) drives you want.  In fact, you can take a drive
> out of a machine, stick it on a blade and mount it back on the
> same machine.  No special formating.  ATA-over-Ethernet.

looks like their pcb board that holds the disk and the backplane
does the "drive not ready" when the ata disk gets unplugged from the
chassis

but with 1 disk .. thats just 10 disks ( 3TB ) in 3U ...

i like my giant 100-200 TB per 42U rack idea better :-)

	40x 1Us with 8 disks each --> 320 disks @ 300GB per disk
	( loads of fun with power and cooling and cabling )

c ya
alvin