installing RedHat7.3 to Dell 1850....

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 12:51:54 PST 2005

--- Kwan Low <kwanseng at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A client send us a brand new Dell Poweredge 1850 and
> want us to install Redhat 7.3. Having all kind of
> trouble getting it to install due to 7.3 unable to
> deal with the newer hardware. Dell site mentioned it
> only support RH 9.

Also, if binary compatibility will permit it, sometimes you can install with
one distro that does work just to get the kernel, and then do an
upgrade/downgrade via the installer or manually via RPM.  Or else, install RHL
7.3 on another system, boot your Poweredge from tomsrtbt, and copy the
filesystem over via cd or NFS.

Often, the problem is that there's a hardware bug and your kernel doesn't have
the fix.  Once, I had to install RH9 and immediately upgrade to FC1 and then
upgrade my kernel, just because the FC1's installer's default kernel missed the
motherboard bugfix!