BayLisa Board Follies

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sat Feb 5 17:20:38 PST 2005

NOTE:  I apologize to everyone in advance.  I'm saddened to see that
childish behavior by two of your Board members has led to them including
you in their childishness.

This is the outgrowth of Rick Moen being belligerent in Board meetings
and in Board discussions, and his wife Dierdre, also a board member,
taking his side to the detriment of the organization.

I'm saddened and disgusted.  But as your servant, you deserve to know
the truth about this, rather than see one biased side.

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 05:06:32PM -0800, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> These are the facts, as I see 'em, of stuff that's happened since the
> board's last meeting on Thursday.
>
> Mark Langston, until recently a board member of BayLisa, wanted to hold
> an email "board meeting" about a motion to censure unspecified persons.

Mark Langston deplored the actions of certain members so thoroughly that
he pointed out a possible action the board would be within its right to
take to demonstrate its displeasure with those board members.  You're
misquoting me.  But hey, the archives are public, anyone can go back and
read them.  Most people would interpret them correctly.

> Rick pointed out, quite correctly, that such a meeting could not occur
> via email per the bylaws. He offered to set up some sort of conference
> call.

Rick made a thinly-veiled threat to sue anyone who made a motion of
censure against him.  Twice.

> Mark Langston resigned.

Due to Rick behaving like a child.

> Jim volunteered conference call facilities for a meeting tomorrow night
> at 8 p.m.
>
> Mark Langston seconded

Mark Langston said he'd be there.  He didn't second.  Learn to read.

> I pointed out that three board members or the president would need to
> call the meeting. So far, I saw one.

No, you pointed out that FOUR board members INCLUDING the president
would need to call the meeting.  I corrected you quoting the bylaws,
which read as you've just stated.

> Jennifer said that she didn't accept Mark's resignation; regardless,
> Mark resigned in writing (and yes, Jennifer, there is case law on this,
> don't make me start spewing it). Further, she said that she was calling
> the meeting.

Spew away.  Until the President is removed, her interpretation stands.

> I said that there'd need to be three directors plus, if he wished to
> join, Mark, would be needed for a quorum. I didn't see a quorum.

No.  A quorum is defined in the bylaws as half the sitting board.  If
you are now saying I AM a board member, than that's half of 8 (including
Elizabeth), which is 4.  Otherwise, it's 3.  At the time, you were
stating I was a board member, but demanding quorum was four, until I
once again corrected you.

And the president, according to bylaws, is allowed to call special
meetings on her own.

> Jennifer said that Elizabeth was also on the board, which is false. No
> vote was called about whether or not Elizabeth should be added.

It was noted in the minutes that the motion was made and seconded with
no objections.  Being the Arch, I'm rather up-to-date on this sort of
thing.

> Mark withdrew his resignation.
>
> I said that we could discuss that at the next regular meeting (per the
> bylaws, that's the correct procedure).

No, the bylaws state that new members can be added at the next regular
board meeting.  They say nothing to resignation withdrawl.  Furthermore,
since my email was not considered "in writing", as stated in the bylaws,
the president didn't accept the resignation.

Too bad for you.

> Mark accused me of challenging Jennifer's authority.

husband Rick say is simple fact with no ill intent, and how anything
anyone else says that isn't in the best interest of either of you is
construed negatively any time you mention it.

> If Jennifer wanted her behavior to be above reproach, she would exclude
> Mark from any calculations of quorum or voting as his status is still
> resigned per the bylaws.

Again, too bad.

I hereby request that one topic of the special meeting be:  The board's
removal of Rick and Dierdre from the board.

--
mcl