How much does power go for nowadays ?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Tue Aug 30 11:57:27 PDT 2005

> selling us the power at a loss if they are paying that PG&E tarif, the other
> datacenter (I doubled the amount of power we would draw to cover the power
> needed for cooling), it was pretty much that PG&E tarif.

Surely a co-lo adds value in the form of a UPS, gen-set, etc., even if these
things didn't consume any more power on their own.  (OK, an automatic
transfer switch doesn't dissipate a lot of power, but a UPS sure does.)  I
would expect to pay a fair bit more than the PG&E kilowatt-hour charge.

Are co-lo's doing any sort of voluntary load-shedding, or time-sensitive
billing, I wonder, to reduce their power cost?  (Not that they really have
much room to maneuver.)