Changing subject body and subject header

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Tue Aug 9 14:55:28 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:31:28PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> Okay.  Members, how do you feel about the transparency and openness of
> the elected board for BayLISA?  Can you access the minutes of the board
> meetings?  Can you access the archives of the board mailing list?  Do
> you have any means by which to hold those you electedd accountable for
> their actions?

Mark, you want the honest truth to those questions? OK.

I don't care.

Seriously.  I don't care.  Call me apathetic, call me American, whatever,
but in the end, in my selfish worldview, BayLISA exists as a place where I
can, when/if I get around to it, go to listen to really interesting people
talk about interesting SA things.  The mailing lists are useful too for
social and informational purposes.  What the board does is not all that
relevant to me, and I assume that if the board finds someone's being a
difficulty, the boar will deal with it.

So no, I can't access the minutes of the board -- and if I can, I don't
know how.  And no, I can't access the archives, and no, I don't know any
means by which I can hold those I elected accountable.  Of course, I didn't
elect anyone because I didn't vote because ... honestly, whoever ends up
running seems to do a decent enough job.  Even when I was heavily involved
(and attending every monthly meeting) years ago, it seemed like pretty much
everyone who was on the board or wanted to be on the board had the skills
and desire to do a good job.

But the thing is, I don't *care* about whether or not I can access the
archives or the minutes.  And I don't care about your dispute with the
Moens -- I don't know either of you (though I love Rick's faucets!), and
your arguments do not seem to be particularly relevant to me or what I get
out of BayLISA as long as you don't pollute the mailing lists with your
vendettas.  Seriously, why can't you go out and duel to the death or
something? That'd at least be interesting.  I'm willing to loan the
firearms or epees, if equipment is what's holding you back.

-roy