Make: party

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Tue Apr 19 18:51:26 PDT 2005

On Saturday, May 21, I am planning to host a Make: party at our humble
abode in Santa Clara, CA.

The theme and driving force of the gathering is the same as that behind
the new O'Reilly Make: "mooks":  Nifty hardware hacks that you're
willing to share with the world.

In keeping with the spirit of similar efforts such as Len Sassaman's
CodeCon, there are a few requirements for attending:

1)  You must have a working personal hack to exhibit, be it a nifty
adaptation of existing hardware, some combo of hardware and software, an
implant, a third eye, second head, or so on.  It must be tangible.  The
audience should be able to fondle your creation.

2)  You must be willing and prepared to share with attendees the history
of its creation, and instructions for replicating your work.  This can
be as simple as a URL or as complicated as handing out CDs or DVDs with
the necessary data.

3)  You must refrain from burning down our house or blowing our circuit
breaker.

Believe it or not, I ran this past the fine folks at O'Reilly, and
they're willing to stand behind this party.  They will be contributing
an unknown quantity of unknown items to be distributed to the attendees.
In fact, I believe you may hear more about home Make: parties, as I
think I just started a trend they're going to attempt to nurture, up to
and including a Make: conference later in the year.

So, you want to come.  What do you have to do?  Email me and let me know
you're interested.  Describe your hack.  Point me towards resources that
demonstrate you're not a complete crackpot, but actually have something
viable, or will have by the date of the party.  Space is limited (we've
got a fairly roomy place, but it's not THAT roomy), and submissions will
be first-come, first-served.  The earlier you submit, the more likely
you'll be able to attend.

We will provide snacks and beverages for the attendees.

Consider this a hackish salon.  Or a salon full of hacks.

There may or may not be members of the (legitimate or otherwise) press
present (if anyone knows Xeni and can convince her to make an
appearance, I won't complain.  Particularly if she can drag
something/one from SRL along with her).  But you can be sure that
everyone attending is also presenting.  No hack is too small, but if the
snicker factor's too high, we may ask for something a bit more
substantial.

Please respond if interested.

--
mcl