WAN Replicated Service Availability?

Rick Reineman reineman1 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 15 16:37:16 PST 2004

I've been grinding this problem around in my head for awhile then it
occurred to me that this may be a good forum to pose the question.

How to deploy a series of replicated services (web, ldap and oracle)
across a wide geographical area with the goal being survivability in the
event of a significant Internet outage?

In other words if (for example) the East coast of the US looses Internet
connectivity due to some catastrophe, the rest of the country should
still have access to (at least) one of the replicated servers that are
still available.

With round robin DNS we can hand out IP's to servers in turn but there
is no validation that a service is available.

A load balancer can do some service availability evaluation but we have
the possibility of a load balancer in the geographically affected area.

A router can determine availability of a path or paths to an IP, but not
a service (as far as I know).  It wouldn't take long for a complex
routing issue to be outside of my current ability to understand though.

I know people do replicated services all the time but I get the idea
they are not planning for the same sort of network unavailability that I
want to.  Most replicated services I am aware of are in one co-lo site
with a load balancer, maybe highly available load balancers.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,
Rick