Top-notch mysql dbas?

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Tue May 18 18:41:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 04:37:51PM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> Hackers create themselves.  Deadlines don't delay themselves just for
> silly notions of idealism. That's the way it is. If you've got a year
> to develop an architecture, you have a year to develop a system, not a
> year to create talent, then a year to create a system.

I believe Richard was using this as a pretext to expound on a more
general belief, and while long-winded, his advice may actually be
applicable to the problem at hand.

I appreciated that he "took the long view" suggesting that developing
ones own talent may be better in the long run.  If you need an expert
THIS WEEK, then training a talented young person with modest salary
expectations is a waste of your time.  But if you do the "planning
ahead" thing, you hopefully wont find yourself in a situation where you
all of a sudden need a MySQL God to bail you out.

I also liked the subtext that SysAdmins learn what they NEED to learn.
I think that very few on this list are "trained" so much as
"self-taught" and necessity is the mother of ...

> This entire subject is silly.

If you need to do DBA stuff right now, I agree.  For those of us
cleaning out our mailboxes after a stressful day, this "silliness" is
soothing.  Silly, perhaps, but I appreciate the babble.

Thanks,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/