Spamming should be Bad For Business!

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Mar 23 05:38:31 PST 2004

During my morning's traversal of the posts "held for moderation"
in the FreeBSD.org mailing lists [I'm also postmaster@ there], I
started seeing several copies of a message

From: "Datex Purchasing" <purchasing at datexstorage.com>
Subject: Looking to buy
Sender: "Datex Purchasing" <purchasing at datexstorage.com>

stating that they were looking to buy disk drives.

The message (purportedly from one "Ken Becker" of Datex Storage) goes
on to give the usual sort of lame excuse for spamming (that I won't
quote because it would be likely to increase the spamassassiin score for
this message).

Normally, I merely tag these as "definitely spam" and discard them.

After about the 5th one, I decided to send this twit a "reject message"
to let him know that I would be avoiding doing business with him and
any firm with which he is associated, and recommending to my colleagues
that they consider doing so as well.

This message is in fulfillment of that promise.

I have set up the BayLISA SMTP server (as well as my own at home) to
decline to accept mail that is from the datexstorage.com domain, is
being delivered by a machine in that domain, or that mentions the
phone number he gave in his spam.  Naturally, the SMTP reject message
provides a (good) reason for the rejection.

I suppose I'm a tad irritated....  :-}

In any case, please be aware that the attempted spam existed, and
feel free to use that information when you choose to do business.
(There is a copy of my reject message in the /etc/mail/access RCS log on
www.baylisa.org.)

Cheers,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.