Remote install of solaris on a 220R

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Thu Jun 24 19:25:14 PDT 2004

Wow. thanks for the heads up, Dave.. My thoughts at this point
is if the contract actually goes through, I'm having them ship
the servers to me and rebuild them...

Heh. I've finally given up on redhat.. at my day-gig we're redhat
ES, soon with provisioning server, but in my company, it's debian
all the way.

And sunsolve, I think I've long given up on sun's website.. For
pinouts, stokely is the place to go..

> It's a PITA, especially if you want to try stipping the system down to
> only install the minimums. Don't bother, install everything, then
> uninstall things. You'll save yourself hours of headaches if you don't
> know solaris interdependacnies backwards and forwards. The solaris
> installer/package manager is the worst I've ever seen (and you've heard me
> bitch about RedHat's. this makes RH's look like a god).
>
> The console definitions are 'odd', I've never figured out what it thinks
> it is, best I can advise is turn flow control off.
>
> You're likely to loose control of the box 2-3 times untill you learn how
> it likes to be talked to.
>
> You need a newer version of solaris 8 to support the 220R. The original
> (think first year's worth) will install, but it won't be able to boot. The
> documentation with the 220R should say what REV is required, assuming it
> wasn't purchased with the box.
>
> Depending on how many boxes it is, dd'ing the drives may be faster than
> setting up a one-time jumpstart server.
>
> FYI the console connecter is an RJ-48, it's pinout differs from a Cisco or
> any other rj-48 console connecter I've found. The pinout is avail on
> SunSolve, buried deeply of course.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek
Halligan Infrastructure Designs.