Remote install of solaris on a 220R

David M. Dowdle ddowdle at leopard.net
Thu Jun 24 18:25:14 PDT 2004

It's a PITA, especially if you want to try stipping the system down to
only install the minimums. Don't bother, install everything, then
uninstall things. You'll save yourself hours of headaches if you don't
know solaris interdependacnies backwards and forwards. The solaris
installer/package manager is the worst I've ever seen (and you've heard me
bitch about RedHat's. this makes RH's look like a god).

The console definitions are 'odd', I've never figured out what it thinks
it is, best I can advise is turn flow control off.

You're likely to loose control of the box 2-3 times untill you learn how
it likes to be talked to.

You need a newer version of solaris 8 to support the 220R. The original
(think first year's worth) will install, but it won't be able to boot. The
documentation with the 220R should say what REV is required, assuming it
wasn't purchased with the box.

Depending on how many boxes it is, dd'ing the drives may be faster than
setting up a one-time jumpstart server.

FYI the console connecter is an RJ-48, it's pinout differs from a Cisco or
any other rj-48 console connecter I've found. The pinout is avail on
SunSolve, buried deeply of course.