BayLISA -> BayISSA

The Other Gretchen gretchen at flick.com
Fri Jun 18 13:20:08 PDT 2004

>I don't see where any criticism of yours has affected BayLISA.  Just
>your aggressive presence on our list communities, which discourages
>people who don't enjoy flaming from participating.  Given that attempts
>at reasoned discourse with you simply escalate to ad-hominem attacks,
>and that attempts at silence are responded to with 'ha! you aren't
>replying, which proves I'm right!', there really aren't any good
>strategies for the shy except not posting in the first place.

I hope I speak for all of the other shy when I say AMEN.

Richard, I am sorry to say this, but I am not entirely certain why you
aren't in my spam filters yet.  I find your tone to be almost
invariably inflammatory and your content to be generally devoid of
useful or productive information.  I think the only reason I don't
filter you is because of my abiding love for BayLISA, and my desire to
see you someday change for the better.

Your options are:

(a) Change your method of communication, and the contents of your
messages, so that they are tuned for your actual audience, rather than
your desired audience.  These two things do not appear to be the same.
Hint: We are not the audience you appear to desire.

(b) Quiet down and observe the traffic on the mailing list so that you
can learn how to present yourself, if (a) is too difficult at the
moment.  This is, by the way, standard online etiquette.  Hint:  The
members of the board are not your enemies.  You are simply not keeping
to etiquette and they are quite properly correcting that behavior.

(c) Leave, possibly forming another group with members more in line
with your goals and methods of expression.

I'm sorry to lead with a message of disapprobation after a long
silence, but I miss BayLISA, love its helpful parts, and hope fervently
that they can continue, even though I'm too now far away to attend
meetings.  And I want to make it crystal clear that silence does NOT
indicate assent.  I, and no doubt many others, have been trying to
politely ignore Richard and hope that he gets the hint.

As for the productive discussions underway, I love the idea of online
video simulcasting if that's possible... that's about the only way I'm
going to make it to a meeting in the foreseeable future.  Online
writeups would be even better, since then they aren't nailed down as to
time.

I very much agree that reaching out to other related professions may be
a great way to breathe new life blood in; make it really clear to DBAs,
IT developers, etc.  that they are welcome.  Are there still any venues
such as the late lamented Computer Literacy where the group could be
advertised?  It seems to me that the major way people learn about
BayLISA is by word of mouth; are there other ways to spread the news
that could be used?

I know that in the past it has been hard for people who run Windows
networks to feel truly comfortable at BayLISA.  Is that still the
case?  If so, what could make them more welcome?

You may be able to get some fruitful teaming with the Silicon Valley
Cisco Users Group... maybe even to the tune of sharing facilities?
Kind of a long shot, and still South Bay, but worth checking... or at
least the aspiring and/or current sysadmins among them should know
about the great resource of BayLISA.  http://www.svcug.net/

I wish I had more fruitful suggestions, or better yet, ability to help.
But do know that you wished very well indeed, BayLISA.

gretchen
========not in any sekrit conspiracies