BayLisa the real problem.

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Thu Jun 17 15:39:35 PDT 2004

> Being in the south bay means laziness by nature. Lack of public
> transportation, excess of strip malls and suburbs. That's the lifestyle,
> "do we do something interesting with our life, or do we watch television
> and order out?"

I know where _I_ usually end up on this scale. :-)

> What can we automate in the BayLISA group?  Can we rotate the locations
> of the meetings, to get greater coverage?  Would split-meetings work
> (having video conferencing between two or three sites).

One of the hardest things I did as a board member for BayLISA was to
arrange a meeting site -- just one at a time.  Some of them didn't come
with Internet access at all, for less than an extortionate fee (that's when
the MBONE stuff stopped, for us).  Getting people to show up reliably with
e.g. drinks and snacks is a major chore.  Getting the video camera set up
-- remembering to push the button! -- has been a challenge.  All with
volunteer labor and next to zero cash.  Tripling these things doesn't sound
like a winner, on the face of it.  But I don't know.  A webcast of some
kind would be neat (and it's not just me being selfish from out of town; we
have heard continual requests for this.)

That said, maybe it's time to look again for space.  Apple has been very
generous, but we like to move somewhat before we wear out our welcome, not
afterward.  (We were at Incyte too long, and went through two sponsors.
That was me, being lazy about finding Apple.)

And I think moving it a bit further north is a dandy idea.  You'll never
get the no-car crowd from the city anyway, so concentrate on the peninsula
and mid-east-bay, as well as the south bay.  I'd say.  But you take what
you can get.

Moving also sheds a certain percentage of the attendees (the ones who just
show up and never look at the web site), so it's best to announce this
during a peak-attendance meeting, and with a couple of months' notice.
November (the board election) would be a good month to announce a future
site change.

So: Who has a line on such a space?