throw away (was "Re: Datacenter tools?")

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Sun Jun 6 00:02:50 PDT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> Oddly enough, I used to work with Dowdle a couple of years ago,  and we
> hosted @ exodus.. We had a trash can in our datacenter.. We needed one,
> our ceo made us use homebuilt servers, and we were throwing out failed
> junk once a week :)

FYI, BFI now recycles tech.  The stuff is so full of heavy metals, and
so relatively easy to reclaim still-useful/functional parts from, that
it really shouldn't just go into the landfills.

I think it's our responsibility, as the ones who replace the failed
components, to do our level best to get this stuff recycled.  So, if
your data center doesn't have a special "tech bin" (mine doesn't),
educate them & ask for one--and cart the stuff back to your office for
BFI to pick up there in the meantime.  Please.

-Guy