Datacenter tools?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Thu Jun 3 14:54:59 PDT 2004

Quoting Alvin Oga (alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com):
> - webcam so people can remotely see the messages of whats on the screen

Well, for this we have invented conserver.  (better is a cyclades)
We have one machine running conserver which holds the consoles
open; it LOGS what's on the consoles (so mr swatch can help out)
and lets people SHARE viewing the console.

> - cart w/ keyboard, good svga monitor
Actually, I was noting the lack of a TERMINAL.  A basic Wyse60
is killer to have.

> - good set of screw drivers vs "cheap stuff"

And a whole lot of the cheap ones.  It's always nice to have one
of those jeweler sized little screw drivers and having 10 around
means they don't walk, if they do you care less.

> - magnetic screw drivers if you're gutsy
Never.

> - power screw drivers
Often.  Cheap and slow (I carry my makita sometimes, but the B&D
ones are slow, but fast enough for a 3/4" rack screw and won't walk).

We also have a large rolling toolchest filled with the rack screws
(lighter metal than the rack - strip a $0.05 screw, not a rack thread)
and odd little clips we need for our racks.   Along with toners and
flukes and 4 or 5 screw drivers.