Datacenter tools?

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Thu Jun 3 12:27:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:40:48AM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>  - 1 AXIS network camera per cabinet (the kind that pan, so we can
>    potentially look at blinkys, as well as who's accessing)
>  - Fluke network debuggers

One thing to keep in mind is that at this point, you're pretty much in
toyland.  You've already got the basic tools you need.

That said, I'd say that:
1. I'm fond of having lots of RJ45-DB9 and RJ45-DB25 adapters on-hand in
case I need to custom-make a cable; and because of that, I'm also fond of
having a cable tester (mine was called 'PC Cable Tester' and could map
pretty much any non-SCSI, non-fiber cable I've got -- DB9, DB25, RJ45,
RJ11, USB, FW, DB15, etc etc etc)

2. I'm fond of having a CD player with decent speakers in the datacenter;

3. I'm not sure what, these days, the Fluke netdebuggers can give you that
a laptop with decent OSS tools on it couldn't.

-roy