Someone to rack boxes in SF?

Mon Jan 26 23:47:13 PST 2004

hi ya benjamin

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Benjamin Feen wrote:

> A small firm I know has a project coming up: they need to add 20
> 1U machines to a small compute farm.  They should be taking delivery
> of the hosts within the next two weeks, and they want to have them
> in production as quickly as possible.  I'm scouting around for
> someone who would be able to do a quick, neat job of installing a
> rack, running cable, and racking the hardware.  They can handle
> everything from the OS on up -- they just need someone to deal with
> the physical install.  I would expect it to be a single [long] day
> of work.

when we install 1Us.... we can usually rack'um and install about 40
boxes in about 2-3 hrs... including net boot...
	any boxes that failed, is a separate issue for debugging later
	( good parts, good assy, good specs should not result in any
	( failures of a single box
		- too many times, the led wires is backwards :-0

	- the so-called "5 minute install" everybody likes to see
	but hard to do .. :-0

- am saying 20 machines is 2-3 hrs of work at most with careful
  tie-wrapping the cables too .. and it's bad NOT to install/boot
  the boxes at the time of (rack) install ... too much effort to track
  down afterward, why that one box didnt boot or work properly

- we "do everything"  or none :-)
	- why doesn't the outfit that sold the 20 1Us come out and
	install it ?? ( they already made their huge bundle of of
	pennies by making the sale

fun stuff...

c ya
alvin