Yahoo and Web Beacons

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Fri Dec 17 14:25:54 PST 2004

I've seen a few messages on a couple of Yahoo groups that I subscribe to
talking about Web Beacons
http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html policies on
Yahoo.

What is causing the furor I think is this snippet:
Note: This opt-out applies to a specific browser rather than a specific
user. Therefore you will have to opt-out separately from each computer or
browser that you use.

So Yahoo is using a cookie to opt-out I assume, which means that if you
clear your cookie cache, you'd have to opt out again.  Of course if you
modify your browser settings so that you don't accept cookies (which
causes hassles of it's own, but at least you know it's not tracking your
activity without your knowledge), this should solve the problem, correct?

What are people's thoughts about this?

Jennifer