Advice wanted regarding setting up WiFi - fun

John Clear jac at panix.com
Fri Apr 2 10:02:24 PST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:23:14PM -0800, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:

> Whatever.  I'm just not likely to be subject to an attack, so my goal is
> not to outrun the bear, but to be somewhat less attractive than the house
> next to me.

That is my strategy at home as well.  I can connect to three wide
open networks from my house, so I consider WEP, MAC filtering and
a hidden SSID good enough to encourage a hacker to use one of the
open networks.  The machines at my house are not on full time, so
at most times, all a hacker can do is steal bandwidth.

As always, YMMV.

John