Advice wanted regarding setting up WiFi - fun

Thu Apr 1 19:25:01 PST 2004

hi ya chuck

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> Sometimes I'm amazed the messages make it through my Baysian filters...

just to poke fun at ya too, i see you havent added my name to your filters
to drop my mails :-)

> Quoting Alvin Oga (alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com):
> > 	- httpd, ssl, ssh has exploitable holes if its not patched
> and your point?

i assume you know what all that means when a box is not patched

> > - secure wireless logins doesn't seem to be too trivial .. always got
> >   some form of gotchas
> low SO acceptance factor to demand that s/he ssh to a machine to enable
> authpf (obsd) to open access.  web page is easier and an 11 year old
> can figure it out (I tested)

precisely why a home network ( user ) should never be allowed to VPN into
the corp network
	- no way for the corp admin to maintain/secure the corp
	data and network against the home pc and networks

> > > As I said earlier, my existing firewall is a little box from Linksys.
> > those linksys puppies supposedly runs linux ...
> > 	- we should be able to replace it's wep app with a new one
> ah, that land of should.  I looked at a house there once.
> Let us know when you have PROM images.

let me know when the check is ready to be cut, and it'd probably be a
couple 2-3 days work, which would than imply about a week by the time its
truely ready
	- wild ass guessig that it's a simple tweek the initrd problem

> > - using wep or not does not make much difference..
> > 	- "most" people's passwd is what??
> > 	( 50% uses password or some variation of it
> > 	( 25% uses their spouses names
> > 	( 10% uses their atm pin#
> Really.  You have some reference for this info?  Something you can cite?

unfortunately for you and me ... it was a silly radio talk show ....
and the results of their informal survey

i've tried "password survey"  and got just SAN's writeup which
was interesting, but not the talk show's passwd survey

> I think you're making it up.

you're entitled to your opinions ... :-)

> Anyhow, personal passwords are not the same as a shared WEP key, so
> you fail to make a coherent point.

but the key and ssid comes from "easy to remember" words/phrases
which is one reason why brute force can and have cracked wep

> Guess how long it takes me to get into a slamlocked door?

a good locksmith ... 5 seconds

> Guess how fast someone will come when the alarm goes off?

in a good neighborhood with a good police dept ... 10-15 minutes
unless they had prev complaints, and it'd be the normal
expected time of 1-3 minutes
	- just dont go speeding down the street the cops are
	coming up on

nite-nite
alvin