"Impressive" datacenters @ SF?

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 19 13:10:46 PDT 2003

> Chuck Yerkes wrote:
>
>Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
>

>>Are there any GOOD hosting facilities in SF.. not resellers/small, but a tier1/2 facility
>>like equinix/att/sprint?  The only one I know of so far is level3.
>>

>My "gut" sense is that SF is a bad place for a really
>really solid datacenter where you want to be always up.
>
>Unlike the East Bay, it's more easily cut off from communications in
>the event of the expected national disaster.
>
>It's always struck me that Oakland (and SJ) would stand to be
>the obvious places for Tier 1 datacenters (the transcontinental
>railroad ended in Oakland - for a reason).

For similar reasons, I would avoid Stockton, both for living -and- for
siting equipment ... it's downwind of both the San Francisco Bay Area in
general, and Livermore, in particular.

Too bad; lots of nice farmland out there.

San Francisco property rates are still obnoxious, if Craigslist's
'commercial properties' section is any guide; another reason to avoid
the tip of the peninsula ... Manhattanesque real estate strategies abound.

(Exercise for the un[der]employed: measure your home's livable square
footage and figure out how much you're paying, per square foot, per
month, for rent. If it's over $1.00, you should think about
renegotiating; you might save yourself $500 a month.)

My $0.02, YMMV, etc.

-- richard