"Impressive" datacenters in SF?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Fri Sep 19 11:39:03 PDT 2003

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
> Are there any GOOD hosting facilities in SF.. not resellers/small, but a tier1/2 facility
> like equinix/att/sprint?  The only one I know of so far is level3.

My "gut" sense is that SF is a bad place for a really
really solid datacenter where you want to be always up.

Unlike the East Bay, it's more easily cut off from communications in
the event of the expected national disaster.

It's always struck me that Oakland (and SJ) would stand to be
the obvious places for Tier 1 datacenters (the transcontinental
railroad ended in Oakland - for a reason).

For things that would be "mostly up" (say a server for a local
company where outtages in a disaster would be expected for a while
and not affect a business that would be down anyway), that's where
resellers fall in.

But that's just my opinion.