Remote terminal server recommendations?

Dmitry Kohmanyuk Дмитрий Кохманюк dk at farm.org
Thu Sep 18 22:23:05 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:36:41PM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> My old standby used to be computone, but they don't
> seem to be around anymore.  They had the best features
> out of them all back in the day, mainly they had ssh
> support, as well as per-port user/password acls & easy
> integration with their remote power strips.
>
> Does anybody know of something comparable (Mainly I
> want a solution with ssh).

	so, you want to ssh into something which can then allow you to connect
	to serial console?

	my advice is:
	buy portmaster 2 series (2U rackmountable PM-25, needs custom cables,
		or 4U PM-2E, direct DB-25 ports, can be less on ebay.)
	install free conserver software (www.conserver.com) on any Unix box,
		and configure it to connect to your portmaster.

	you'll get:
		ability to ssh to your box (which runs conserver).
		console logging (by conserver)
		multi-user access (one writer, many readers.) (by conserver)
		reliability and power-off-does-not-send-break-to-serial ports (by portmaster.)
		ability to log in to portmaster by direct telnet if your box goes down.
			(you can restrict it by password, i think.)

	you can also buy Cyclades all-in-one device, with built-in ssh, but the price would be
	higher (unless you are installing this in a location without existing Unix box, or
	are really strapped for U space).

	Presumably, if you want to manage customers' equipment, you have one of your own management
	stations, which runs network monitoring/dns/smtp services/accounting for them.

	where to buy:
	    portmasters.com sells portmasters;  a friend recommends them.
	    they are not part of with Lucent (which bought Livingston.)
	    they have password unlocking service and other kinds of support.

	    you can always try ebay; there are good deals on portmasters, but none on cyclades.

disclaimer: i have bought equipment from cyclades in the past.    i have used portmasters.com service,
but not bought from them (yet).  I don't work for either ;)