LISA & Fire?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Mon Oct 27 18:22:32 PST 2003

Quoting cat (cat at usenix.org):

> Hello all, >
> I'm writing from LISA03 to let everyone know that the Conference is on
> as as scheduled.  Yes, the smoke is pretty thick outside but inside is
> fine.  I have bad asthma myself and I'm doing okay.

I just came UP from that area (a wedding)  and the air is chunky
(ashes in it) and the sky is a bit orange depending on where you are.

Me?  I wouldn't go jogging.  Were I outside all day, I might be masked.
If I had lung issues, I might bring a basic face mask (eg. from hardware
store) if stuck outside at the airport or wherever.

The planes were late - seems the fire caused the long distance air
traffic folk to evacuate, so the planes are guided from afar and
spread 40 miles rather than 5 miles.  These folks then hand off to
the local tower folk.

In Newport/Huntington/Laguna beach, it was chunky and chilly (not
much sun).  In San Bernadino/Riverside area it was hazy and ashy and
scary to fly over (the view, not any personal danger).

Keep in mind that the news folks are focused on one area with "good"
visuals.  They may interview people - but the dull people who say
"Yeah, the fires are bad, but it's not really affecting my life
directly" end up on the editing floor.  They'll keep the dramatic
person who may live 40 miles from the fire, and not know of anyone
affected, but some how its personal with a TV camera in their face.

I'd think that the region could use the money that LISA and conferences
bring in.  I'd think that USENIX (and SAGE) could use the money that
LISA brings in.  So you get to support a battered town and your favorite
group.

Additionally:
Were this NYC, it would be like having fires in Long Island or Westchester.
The city would certainly notice it, but it's not like 1.2 million people
are cowering in their homes.

Lots of LISA people end up in the hotel most of the time ANYWAY.
They will be almost entirely unaffected.

If you're going out and going jogging, perhaps rethink.  This weekend,
the wind was from the sea in the mornings.  It was clearer then. But
sat photo's show lots of smoke over the ocean.