Software for backups - ms

Thu Oct 23 21:35:18 PDT 2003

hi ya david

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >If you've got the $$$ and want to backup Windows machines, look to the
> >Veritas offerings.  We have been extremely pleased with them.  Block-level
> >incrementals rock.
>
> Were money no object, the available choices would likely be a bit more
> numerous.
>
> Correspondence to date has pointed out a couple of salient items that I
> failed to mention:
>
> * The employer in question is a start-up.  No one working there is
>   getting paid close to a "living wage" yet.  Frugality with respect to
>   resource consumption is definitely called for -- and money is such a
>   resource.

typical scenario ....
	- use tape drive and tapes - or -
	- use large disks (160GB Maxtors for $80 after rebate was atfries)

	- fully automated ... no human intervention needed, no even to
	change tapes

	- backup to different PCs ..

	- define company policy ... of what gets restored .. at what time

c ya
alvin