Software for backups - ms

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Oct 23 20:41:48 PDT 2003

>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:39:53 -0700
>From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm at igtc.com>
>To: Alvin Oga <alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
>Cc: David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>, baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: Re: Software for backups - ms

>If you've got the $$$ and want to backup Windows machines, look to the
>Veritas offerings.  We have been extremely pleased with them.  Block-level
>incrementals rock.

Were money no object, the available choices would likely be a bit more
numerous.

Correspondence to date has pointed out a couple of salient items that I
failed to mention:

* The employer in question is a start-up.  No one working there is
  getting paid close to a "living wage" yet.  Frugality with respect to
  resource consumption is definitely called for -- and money is such a
  resource.

* Adjusting the environment to suit the product is very unlikely to be
  acceptable:  we intend to provide the backup (and when called
  for, restore) services for customers.  I expect that we will have
  little influence (and no control) over customers' choices for computing
  environments.  (After all, I couldn't recommend that anyone store
  valuable information on a box running a Microsoft product, but folks
  persist in doing it anyway.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
If you want true virus-protection for your PC, install a non-Microsoft OS
on it.  Plausible candidates include FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
Solaris (in alphabetical order).