Brent Chapman Thurs @ BayLISA (Oct 16, 7:30 pm)

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Mon Oct 13 08:46:49 PDT 2003

 Open up your Day Planners, calendars, let the department secretary
 pass the note around - BayLISA, the Bay Area Large Installation
 System Administrators, meets Thursday October 16th.  This week :)

 For this speaker more than most you might be interested in inviting
 your manager or members of other departments who work with you.  The
 topic of the evening is:

	MBAs for Sysadmins:
        Why Would A Hard Core Techie Like Me Get An MBA?

 Brent Chapman is already exceedingly well known in his field, famous
 for creation of mailing manager software he doens't even like anymore,
 coauthor of the O'Reilly book "Building Internet Firewalls" (now in
 its second edition), and invited speaker to conferences in our field.
 Yet, he went to Australia and sought out a degree in business
 administration.  Since his return he's been flooded with questions
 about it - in this week's meeting, we'll hear the answers.

   Location:  Cupertino, Apple Campus, De Anza Building Three
		10500 N. De Anza, just north of Stevens Creek.
		parking lot has blue apples.

   Time:      7ish, come on in, chat, grab a soda*
		7:30 announcements start
		then the speaker
		til about 9:30....uh, maybe ten.

   Afterdinner: yes, one of three or four choices nearby
		(we're planning to have maps)

  * Yes, folks, we will have drinks this time.  Cookies will be back
    too.

SPECIAL NOTE THIS MONTH:
 October is the time of nominations for the November elections.  If you
 are interested in joining the BayLISA board - helping us work on
 interesting things like who will be the upcoming speakers, which of us
 will seek out soda, getting the word out about BayLISA to other groups -
 and occasional boring corporate things - then consider your candidate's
 statement, and either
    * post it to the baylisa general list
    * post it to the wheels (blw list)
    * announce your candidacy at the October meeting.

 Wr have 4 positions open this year.  Board positions are for a period
 of two years unless some event in your life forces you to step down.
 Board meetings are once a month on First Thursdays.

MEMBERSHIP
 You must be a currently paid up member of BayLISA to vote - or to be a
 Board nenber - so get it done now, before the rush :)

 It's $45 and we take checks or cash. Students with ID - just $10.  If
 you know any corporations who'd like their name in lights as one of our
 sponsors this year - $500.

 For any of you who tend to forget your pocketbook, we have paypal payment
 available online.

ALSO
 We're seeking Short But Cool speakers for December: a 10 to 15 minute
 presentation about something the sysadmins and netadmins of the silicon
 valley and bay area would surely find ... cool!

-* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/ *-