How is "tip" spelled on Linux-speak?

jimd at starshine.org jimd at starshine.org
Thu Oct 2 19:28:52 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:47:44PM -0500, Jim Hickstein wrote:
>>>Why not just bring back tip(1)?  It's _so_ much easier to deal with, and
>>>it  Just Works.

>>Got upstream sources?  Things can be added to the BBC project if we have
>>sources for them, bearing in mind space considerations.

> I don't want to step on a license mine.  But the stuff is all sitting there
> on my FreeBSD machines.  How hard can it be?  (snort)

 Everything on the BBC 2.0 is FSF free software compliant (since the FSF
 uses it as their membership card!).

 BSD license if FSF free.  When you hear of incompatiblities between the
 BSD and GPL licenses that has to do with intermingling code among them.
 Since both allow for free use and distriction without restriction (and
 derivative works with their respective clauses).

 There's no problem there for the LNX-BBC crowd.  Of course I'm assuming
 that the FreeBSD tip(1) is under the BSD license. :)

 Personally I've never liked minicom; but I use serial lines so rarely
 these days I don't fuss over it.  On Debian boxes the apt-get -f
 install gkermit command is so fast it's no fuss; but anywhere else I
 just use whatever they have unless I'm planning to use that machine's
 serial lines *alot* over a long time.

--
Jim Dennis