HE.Net Quotes? - t1s

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Fri May 30 00:58:27 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 05:42:54PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> for sdsl, i tried that in the covad/northpoint days and they couldn't get
> it installed the right way ...
> 	- i still monitor a few machines on dsl ... and i see those
> 	puppies go up and down like a yo-yo on a weekly basis
>
> 	- if it goes down, it could be for a few minutes or few hours
>
> 	- i don't like having any down time that is not something i turned
> 	off to play with the box

FWIW, I don't know what DSL provider you're monitoring, but they should
be fired.

In 2002, when I was using PacBell as my DSL provider, I had no outages.
In 2003 I switched over to cliq.com and I've had no outages with them
either.  As supporting evidence, I give you
http://stats.inorganic.org/?rtr=MailStats.cfg&xgtype=m&if=MailStats_inout
-- a graph of incoming/outgoing mail messages on my system.  Other than
a few downtimes over the last two weeks that were due to machine
upgrades, you can see that my connectivity was completely uninterrupted,
at least at a granularity I care about.

If money is not much of an issue, I'd still go for a T1 because 384Kb or
whatever it is that I've got upstream is kinda pathetic, and mostly
because I do think providers take T1 downtimes more seriously if/when
hey happen, but speaking as someone who hosts his own services (SMTP,
DNS, HTTP) and provides services to other people, I've never had to deal
with "oh my God, my network's down" problems anytime in the recent past.

-roy