HE.Net Quotes? - t1s

Alvin Oga alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com
Thu May 29 17:42:54 PDT 2003

hi ya michael

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> Do t1s even matter nowadays, when you can get SDSL 1.1mb for around $300, and
> not have to buy a router that can handle a t1?

for 1.5Mbps (T1) speeds ...
	- i like having the machines in my office for $600/month
	and not limited to "space" in the rack or floors and power

	- saves me from driving around town in rush hour if a
	lonely machine is acting odd and needs a "look see and
	touchy-feely"

	- i also like that there's (supposedly) no windoze boxes on that
	same wire

	- i have a bunch of csu/dsu routers already, but i don't know the
	passwd to some of the routers anymore  :-)

	- i want the reverse dns for the class-C ip# to be correct
	instead of saying mail came from w.x.y.z.dsl.pacbell.net
	which most rdns-checking mta will bounce
		- some isp propagates rdns correctly, others dont

for sdsl, i tried that in the covad/northpoint days and they couldn't get
it installed the right way ...
	- i still monitor a few machines on dsl ... and i see those
	puppies go up and down like a yo-yo on a weekly basis

	- if it goes down, it could be for a few minutes or few hours

	- i don't like having any down time that is not something i turned
	off to play with the box

have fun
alvin