HE.Net Quotes?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Thu May 29 20:00:48 PDT 2003

= > 			full rack	bw
=
= > 	cogentco.com	??		$ 1,000 / 100Mbps
= >
=
= The cogentco line seemed too good to be true, so I went
= over to their website.  For colocation their list price
= is 1K/month for 2mbit, and 3K/month for 100mbit.
=
= They have a "retail" product for 100mbit for 1k/month,
= but its only for buildings that cogentco has already
= lit up.

It is too good to be true.. Cogent has one good use : Mirroring
filesystems over a really fast point to point link.  If you're
in 2 datacenters cogent is in, then $3k a month is awesome.. But
if you're buying transit from them, the $3k it costs for a 100mbit
(that's their current price as far as I knoW) is overpriced.. Their
network kind of sucks, because they basically have no peering.. The
worst part of it, is if you remember how lousy PSI.net was.. well,
they bought psi.net to expand their network.. plus cogent's ip
blocks get rbl'd a lot, because spammers use them a lot.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek
Halligan Infrastructure Designs.
http://www.halligan.org/