Dedicated server hosting? -- good stuff

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon May 26 01:48:35 PDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:

= hi ya michael
=
= nice to get feedback .... yuppers... i agree on all points
= ( even nicer when its "thats what i see too" )
=
= but, my sillyness, tells me i want to be able to drive up to
= the "whacky box" withing 30min of me finding out its not
= responding ...
= 	- i dont like other people playing with my servers

I know the feeling :)  I prefer clusters of redundant, well managed
servers, and as much remote-hands as possible.. I'd rather bring
a box off line and take a performance hit in a cluster, than have
an unknown noc person touch my boxen.

= and since i dont need much bandwidth... i rather host it
= locally in my office :-) .. a good t1 is way better than a colo ..
= until ...
= 	- if power goes out... oh well ... take the time
= 	off to go goof off i guess
=
= 	- luckily, santa clara and palo alto has their own power
= 	and doesn't rely on PGE's silly russian roullette with
= 	its power management ... and summer is here ..

I'm envious with you on that. The only nice thing I remember
about living in Santa Clara was cheap, reliable power bills. During
the power mismanag.. err 'energy crisis" I never lost power.. Now
I live in an industrial section of town in sf, and pay something like
$500 per month in power, and it's somewhat spotty :/

= > Agreed. Uptime costs money, and requires experience.
=
= .. yuppers ..
=
= experience on those looking for colo space too ... :-)

Yeah.  The worst part about searching for colo/hosting is when
you don't know what questions to ask.. I've worked for several
hosting companies, and a ton of other "non-hosting" companies,
so I know generally what I'm looking for.. But I find a lot of
people who just go with whatever their pricerange is not knowing
any better.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek
Halligan Infrastructure Designs.