Vendor Kwality and response (Re: app requires C: less than 1.9GB?)

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Wed Mar 19 09:31:06 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> No, when the sales folks say "we have over 100,000 customers and
> have 2 billion is sales/quarter" I translate that to "You will
> have virtually no importance to us after we sell it to you."

This reminds me of a discussion with an unnamed firewall vendor a few
years back. They'd asked me what platform I planned on running their
software on (Solaris or NT). I'd said "Solaris, of course". Their
response was "Oh good - we don't recommend running under NT, it's not
very stable, and has performance problems".

When we got to the next phase of the discussion, I asked them why I
should pick their product. Their response "We have the biggest market
share in the firewall industry". My immediate question "Doesn't
Microsoft have a dominant share of the OS market, and didn't you just
tell me to run screaming?"

A long silence ensued. We bought something else, in the end.

cheers!