Vendor Kwality and response (Re: app requires C: less than 1.9GB?)

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Wed Mar 19 08:57:20 PST 2003

Quoting jhoney at flash.net (jhoney at flash.net):
> Anyway, big OEMs often don't give a rat's ass that a drive 10X the size
> for half the price is available.  They want to ship the same drive for
> ever and ever amen.
> They also want to be assured that they know EXACTLY what the technician
> will find under the lid when he looks inside.  If he/she travels half
> way around the globe and is sent with a drive that for some odd,
> unforseen reason won't work in the box, a customer can get real pissed.
> Some OEMs need very tight control of what components they use and spare.

I own a Toyota.  But I don't buy my tires from them.  Or gas.
I get my tires from a place that happens to be locally owned
and specializes in tires.

Along that model, you describe reason #46 why I use RAID and
non-monster disk vendors who are responsive to *my* needs rather
than their suppliers' and who can provide quality product, often
for less price and higher performance.

No, when the sales folks say "we have over 100,000 customers and
have 2 billion is sales/quarter" I translate that to "You will
have virtually no importance to us after we sell it to you."