app requires C: less than 1.9GB?

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Mar 18 19:45:19 PST 2003

Someone just asked us puzzling question. They have a medical application
that runs on Windows (don't know which version), and requires that the
size of the C: drive it is installed on to be less than 1.9GB.

We've never heard of a size constraint like this and are puzzled as to
why a maximum size was specified (as opposed to "you must have N bytes
free"). The nearest that we can come up with is this: 1.9GB is just shy
of 2^31 bits, so they must have something hardcoded into their
application that can't address outside this range.

Anybody got a better explanation? My friends and I were just curious
about this, that's all.

thanks,
thomas

--