Shiny new drive

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Tue Mar 4 19:36:54 PST 2003

Re: my thread asking about places with good laptop drive selection.

FYI.

I ended up getting a shiny new IBM^wHitachi Travelstar 40 GB 5400 rpm
drive from thenerds.net for $ 141.00 plus shipping.

Up side:  I got exactly what I wanted.  And (unlike *lots* of other
          vendors) they had them in stock.  The price was right.  The
          drive is installed and working wonderfully. [knock on wood]

Down side:  They took two days to process the order before they
            shipped it.  When I tried to find out about my order, the
            website showed no information on it whatsoever (this was
            during the two days it took to process the order).  When I
            called their 800 number, I stayed on hold, waiting for a
            human (after punching the right buttons) for forty five
            minutes and finally gave up.

Up side:  I emailed them about it and later got a voice mail message
          that was helpful.

Overall, I'm happy with thenerds.net, but I can't understand in this
economy how keeping someone on hold for forty five minutes doesn't
equate to business death.

David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***