Trouble ticketing systems?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Thu Jun 19 12:50:08 PDT 2003

I was wondering if I could get some opinions/experiences with
different ticketing systems?  Lately I've lost interest in
spending so much time on bugfixing, learning rather peculiar
configuration systems, spending hours and hours getting the hundred
or so perl modules configured and installed for a specific piece
of software, etc.. I'm looking to find something that's mature,
well recommended, and actively maintained.  I'd prefer something
written in perl or php, I'm not a huge fan of python.

What I've been looking at for the past few weeks are :
		Pros				- Cons
bugzilla : 	- Well supported		- Rather complex configuration
		- Active Community		- AOL
		- Very extensive		- Bloatware
		- Does everything I need,	- I don't have the required 40 hours
                  plus it makes toast	          that it's been suggested to dedicate
		- Mature			  for a good custom

keystone:	PHP				- very inactive community support
		- Easy to configure & modify	since whitepj made it commercial
		- I've implemented it at several
		  companies
	`	- A good friend used to develop
		  for whitepj (company that
		  turned it commercial)
		- Mature

DCL (Double	- Recommended by several people
Choco Latte)	on SAGE list, and one colleague
		- PHP

RT:		- Mature			- Perl module dependency hell, even
		- Active Community		  with CPAN
		- Good Documentation		- Semi complex configuration
		- Implemented before as 	- Mod_perl .. Does it really need mod_perl?
		  customer/customer management
		  system
		- Semi Mature
		- Perl