DSL provider recommendation

Dmitry Kohmanyuk Дмитрий Кохманюк dk+baylisa at farm.org
Thu Jul 24 03:37:52 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:49:18PM -0700, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> I USED to have DSL before I moved.  Static IP on SBC
> (I was early).  It ate it every saturday for an hour.
> I grumbled and they slowed me down - "you're too far
> for the rate it was set it" (on saturday AM only?).
>
> When I moved, I tried to tranfer it to my housemates.
> No joy.  They called to get DSL and were told it
> wasn't available there.  Um, it was disconnected
> 2 days ago.  "No, you're too far away to get DSL."

	my favourite one from SBC is `you are too far from CO to get a static IP address,
	we can only give you a dynamic one.'
	(No, honestly, I am not making that up.)
	Try to guess what that really means.  (answer below.)

Back to subject:
My current DSL is from Speakeasy.  They are nice and clueful, mostly.
My former circuit was from XO (then Concentric).  Had no problems with them, either.

<spoiler link="sbc">
Explanation:
They give you a modem (bridge?) if you have a dynamic address, and a router if
you want a static one.  Apparently, the router they use has a shorter range.
</spoiler>