If there were justice in our industry ...

David Smith dsmith at FinancialEngines.com
Wed Jul 16 07:08:26 PDT 2003

Decision makers are rarely going to put themselves at risk.  The same
holds true for just about anyone in that position.  That is human nature.

Its been my experience that when the layoffs happen, middle management is
at high risk for the axe.  I would also put a grain of salt in what Salon
writes.  Its like saying something on newsmax.com is reliable.  (IE political
agenda)

Market forces are whats best for the long term health of the economy.
Societies have proven that protectionism doesn't work.  The longer you wait
the harder the pain is.  Change is painful, but inevitable.

And besides outsourcing, what about the current generation of kids that
have grown up on computers and are soon to be entering the work force.  Some
of these 18 yr olds already have a few open-source projects under their belt
and I bet they are willing to work longer hours for much less coin than most
30+ programmers.

Long and short, being in tech and over a certain age (haven't figured the
exact figure yet) you are at risk and should significantly invest in your
skill set in order to show value to an organization.  Otherwise I think its
time to find a new career.

Cheers,
Dave

--