'Dumb & Dumber' Seeks 'Best & Brightest'

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Fri Jul 11 14:25:30 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:17:12PM -0400, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> And yet for years, I've called it "2.8" if only to
> piss off my Sun employed friends and ex-sun coworkers.
> Its technical name is 5.8.
> Its marketing name is "8"

Same here.  I had a few other references in there, and a suggestion
to google for "Solaris 2.8 site:sun.com" to see a plethora of
official pages and documents using the "Solaris 2.8" and "solaris
version 2.8" terminology.

But, in my haste to include veritcal ellipses at the end of the
list of URLs, I forgot to make them non-line-initial, and truncated
my own post.  D'oh!

However, addressing the more general point, if a job posting asks for
skill $FOO, $BAR, and $BAZ, send them a resumé stating you have
$FOO, $BAR, and $BAZ (if, in fact, you do).  Doing otherwise, while
perhaps still accurate, isn't going to help your odds any with the
human and automated resumé filters.  Even hiring managers may often
just skim for key words when they're swamped by resumés.

In this market, using a single, "one-size-fits-all" resumé is just
asking for trouble.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org