Wireless questions

Tony Del Porto tony at usenix.org
Fri Jan 31 23:45:30 PST 2003

Brian,

Here's my story so far:

http://www.delporto.com/tony/projects/wireless.html

It isn't really the same as your situation; I have two clients in a
four unit building and it is more of a co-op than a business. As others
have advised wireless is tricky - things like refrigerators, thermal
pane (pain) windows, and microwaves can cause periodic or permanent
blocks to an otherwise strong signal. Placement is pretty important as
is equipment choice. Cisco's 1200 series is *nice*, but at $700 a pop,
hard to field. The 350 series is also a good choice as it has the same
100mw output as the 1200 series, but, in the basic version, doesn't
have removable antennas. Cisco equipment has some monitoring features
not found in consumer grade stuff, and can handle as many users as you
feel like throwing at  it. I know from experience that the 1200 can
take an 8 foot drop and keep working....I buy stronger tape now.

Have fun!

Tony